About Me

I'm just a girl living in Los Angeles, geeky at heart but trying to fit into the stylish city that is now my home.

Monday, December 20, 2010

Style transformation

Ever since I got to LA, I've been trying to up my style quotient. I feel like LA is a much dressier city than San Francisco and Seattle. SF is pretty dressy but since I was working from home for 6 months, most of my time in SF was spent in sweatpants on my sofa. I think people in Atlanta are actually well-dressed (something about Southern sensibilities I believe) but since I was a college student, and at Tech to boot, I think I was pretty insulated from all that. I mean, one summer I rotated through 4 pairs of sweatpants Monday through Thursday and then wore a skirt on Friday at a feeble attempt at not being hopeless.

Anyway, to amp up my style, I've been trying to modify outfits I would ordinarily wear to be a little more edgy or at the very least, put in a little more effort.

So for example, this is something I may have worn to work in the past:
It's not a bad outfit, but it's sort of plain. And I think the fact that the t-shirt is untucked makes my legs look short. And my shoes are a little to bright to wear with the tights, and match the skirt too much.

And here's how I modified it:
I tucked in the shirt and added a wide belt to define the waste. I also added shoes with a little more darkness to have less contrast between the shoes and the tights. I feel like the outfit is more put-together and I think my legs look a little longer -- which is important when you're all of 5 feet tall... I mean, 5'1" -- that's what my license says :)

I am still working on getting the fashion down, but what I am really struggling with is picking jewelry. Can anyone recommend jewelry that might work with the outfit?

4 comments:

  1. I really recommend picking up a bunch of jewelry from Forever 21. It's extremely cheap, so it's easier to take risks. For a boat neck top, I'd do a slightly longer pendant necklace. I'd pick something fun but fairly monotone. I have a gold owl with fake pearls from F21 that I like to wear with one of my shirts that is similar.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your outfit is so cute... it suits you nicely.

    ReplyDelete