About Me

I'm just a girl living in Los Angeles, geeky at heart but trying to fit into the stylish city that is now my home.

Friday, May 6, 2011

Latest (but not really greatest) celebrity sighting


Well, I suppose it wasn't really a sighting because we went there with the purpose of seeing him. A friend of ours works in product PR, so she got invited to a launch party for some tequila that Oscar de la Hoya is the new face of. Something about legacy of tequila and legacy of boxing... his speech wasn't great, so I missed out on why he's promoting the tequila (besides the fact he's making lots of money).

Anyway, I saw him, and I snuck a picture for proof. By the way, the husband claimed that no one who read my blog would know who he is, but I think he's pretty well known, so let me know if I'm way off base here.


The party itself was interesting. It was at this old theater way east in LA (well, easter than I've been before) and it had been converted into a banquet hall of sorts. It was beautiful, with gilded ceilings and huge antique chandeliers. The decorations were also really fancy.

But the party itself wasn't all that. I didn't feel like I was in the hippest Wednesday night scene. Everyone was sort of in their own groups, eating food and drinking (tequila of course), there was no mingling or anything I'd associate with a "scene" (not that I've been to a "scene" before so I have nothing to compare to). The girls were definitely dressed like it was a scene though. Skirts/dresses were a little too tight and a little too short. Our friend and I were both wearing business casual, since we had come straight from work. What I want to know is how all those other people either got away with wearing those outfits to work or had time to change clothes between work and the party.

We both felt so old critiquing their outfits as too scandalous, especially since they were all our age (at least). But I guess when you're not from LA, you tend to have a more conservative approach. I think our friend is from Maryland, which is borderline South / East Coast, both of which tend to take a more conservative approach to dressing. Yes, girls in the South dress up for silly things like football games, but they wear classy (knee-length) dresses and pearls - not what girls in LA tend to wear, at least not for parties like this.

So to be honest, I own a few "LA" pieces (by few I mean 1), but I just feel really overdressed wearing something tight and short on a weeknight. Am I just overly conservative? Or LA just is a totally different fashion scene?

Anyway, this week has been quiet except for this party (woot, we stayed out until 10:30 on a weeknight!). I'll post more this weekend about my Girl Scout volunteering.

2 comments:

  1. I think it's possible to dress trendy yet keep covered up. Maxi skirts and dresses come to mind right away. As for coming from work and being in business casual, I think you could layer and remove an outer layer to dress up a work outfit. I'm thinking a cute top with black pants covered up with a blazer/cardigan/etc. Or just swap out your work pants for a skirt or little black shorts. I got inspired and played around with polyvore: http://www.polyvore.com/cgi/set?id=31224739

    Btw, I'm jealous you got to go to an event like that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I tried! I wore a gray sheath dress to work with flats. For the evening, I switched out my flats for 4-inch black patent pumps and I put on a blinged out necklace. It wasn't enough though =( All the girls looked like they were about to go clubbing in Hollywood on a Saturday night. I'll try you idea to switch out pants for a skirt or shorts though -- maybe the shorter length would help me fit in more.

    ReplyDelete