About Me

I'm just a girl living in Los Angeles, geeky at heart but trying to fit into the stylish city that is now my home.

Monday, March 14, 2011

Target Dresses and Indian Food

So this weekend I had two accomplishments.
1. I went to Target the first day they had their Designer Collaboration re-release and I bought 4 dresses (of which I will keep 2-3). I'm very excited. I rarely buy stuff full price, but given that this is limited edition, I was willing to fork over the whole $40. I will probably write about the dresses in a later post.
2a. I cooked some good Indian food. Well, mostly good. I found some fresh okra at the Indian store and I was inspired to try a new recipe. I spent 20 minutes mincing onion really finely for a North Indian stuffed okra recipe, but by the time the okra actually cooked to an edible texture, the onions had burnt into a blackened mass on the bottom of the skillet. Sad. The okra was still good though.
2b. I also made bitter gourd with tamarind sauce. I absolutely love bitter gourd. It is, as its name suggests, really bitter, but with the right hot and sour sauce (the aforementioned tamarind plus chili powder plus other spices), the bitterness is tempered and you get a healthy bunch of goodness. Instead of using frozen bitter gourd as I usually do, I actually found some beautiful fresh bitter gourd at the Indian store, which results in a much crispier dish. Mmmmm looking forward to eating those leftovers for lunch tomorrow.

On another note, I had another celebrity sighting -- and this was one I sought/sighted/saw myself. We were walking out of a restaurant and I was looking around at all the people because I felt sorely underdressed. And then tucked away in a corner near the entrance I saw a familar face with blond hair and a weird nose. I did a double take and realized it was Owen Wilson. Not wanting the husband to miss out on the sighting (he missed the first one), I turned around and hissed "Hey, look, it's Owen Wilson to your right." Luckily, he was able to see him =) I'm pretty proud of myself for noticing a celebrity. I feel like I'm generally too oblivious to notice these things.

Lastly, to finish off this post revealing my true dorky sensibilities, I spent some time earlier today making a weight loss spreadsheet for my husband. I made graphs, I added a moving BMI counter, and I used index/match functions to link everything together. I'm pretty proud of myself actually. My husband, who's made his own share of Excel models, thought I'd downloaded the spreadsheet and didn't believe me when I told him I made it myself. So since it's not copyrighted or anything, let me know if you want the spreadsheet and I can send it to you. I'm hoping it will be useful and help him reach his goal.

1 comment:

  1. ooh can I get your recipe for bitter gourd? We get a lot in the summer and it's basically inedible to me. Yay Owen Wilson, my favorite Wilson! :)

    ReplyDelete