About Me

I'm just a girl living in Los Angeles, geeky at heart but trying to fit into the stylish city that is now my home.

Sunday, April 3, 2011

Garage Sales and Art Fairs

So with the hubby occupied, I had a chance to do a lot of stuff I like to do that he dislikes. Well maybe not dislikes but is apathetic to.

During my run yesterday, I saw a sign advertising a neighborhood yard sale, so after eating breakfast and unsuccessfully waiting for the heating guy to show up, I drove over to the garage sale. I figured that given the garage sales was in Santa Monica and advertised "Designer Clothes," I would get a good selection of furniture and jewelry to choose from.

On the way, I saw 2 or 3 other garage sales that I stopped and took a look at. I was tempted to buy an antique end table/credenza thing but I was scared to commit to furniture before I had figured out how I want to decorate our place. When I finally got to the advertised one, it was only three families' worth of stuff -- not as big as I had hoped, but I got a few good things there. I got 3 comic books for the husband's collection, a 1940's wind-up pocket watch, 2 cameo brooches, and a cameo locket for $15. Oh, and "Angela's Ashes" in almost brand new condition for $1. Not bad, I think (pictures below). I'm going to try to make one of the brooches into a pendant, since I've been wanting a cameo necklace for quite a while.



I also went to a local art fair this morning down the street and picked up a pair of silver earrings for $12. I think I need more subdued earrings since I lot of what I have right now was picked up at The Icing and is huge, dangly, and full of sparkly colored stones -- not really work appropriate.


Now that the weather is getting better, I'm hoping to check out more garage sales and maybe get some antique-y furniture for our place.

1 comment: