About Me

I'm just a girl living in Los Angeles, geeky at heart but trying to fit into the stylish city that is now my home.

Saturday, April 2, 2011

Ups and downs at work

Thursday was a really long day that really had its ups and downs. It started at 3:30 when I got up to catch a 6 am flight to SF. I got to the airport just after 4:30, so I had plenty of time before the flight. But the plane didn't leave until 9 am, so I missed coffee with a coworker, I couldn't print out packets for the client meeting, and I couldn't practice my presentation out loud. And I was really sleepy since I had planned to take a nap from 6-7 while on the plane.

After finally landed in SF, things got better for a little while -- the client meeting went really well -- but spiraled downwards as we got stuck in crazy traffic on the way back to the office. A car hit some power lines and so they closed all the lanes going north, and some of the lanes going south as we were. And since I had to take the same freeway north to get to the airport I was stressing out about how to get back to the airport to fly home that night. My coworker was nice enough to drive me to the BART station so I could take the train one stop to the airport, and as she dropped me off, she recommended that I go to the airport and have a drink, which I promptly did. But since I hadn't really had much of a lunch, the wine hit me pretty hard and after half a glass I was getting tipsy and sleepy. Totally unacceptable -- I really need to build my tolerance back up.

I finally got home and got into bed around 11 pm, and I'm still recovering from that really long day. I know I wasn't working most of the time since I was sleeping or reading a magazine on the plane, but it was just a lot of travel and stress and being awake. I'm looking forward to recuperating this weekend.

P.S. It turns out those downed power lines were actually phone lines. Better safe than sorry, but still, it completely shut down a major freeway for like 4 hours.

No comments:

Post a Comment