About Me

I'm just a girl living in Los Angeles, geeky at heart but trying to fit into the stylish city that is now my home.

Thursday, April 7, 2011

Weekend with the sister

So I promised a post about the weekend when my sister came to visit. So here are some highlights from the weekend (and some even come with illustrations).

1. Drop Dead Diva - While working from home together (she had reports to send out for work and a paper to write for a class, and I had, well, work), we turned on the TV to find some background nice. We stumbled upon Drop Dead Diva in the Netflix recommendations, and decided, "How bad could it be?" Answer: Not bad at all. It's basically about this thin blonde aspiring model who dies and tries to return to earth, but instead her soul ends up in the body of an overweight lawyer who just took a bullet for her boss. So basically she has her own memories, but the intelligence and knowledge of the lawyer. And so it's somewhat Legally Blonde-esque, in which she uses her modeling and beauty knowledge from her past life and her legal knowledge from her current life to solve and argue cases. The first season ended with a cliffhanger, but Netflix in all its evil glory, does not have the second season available for streaming. And the husband would not appreciate having to give up a disc of Glee for this show.

2. Food Trucks - I have never eaten at a food truck. Well, no, I suppose I ate at one in Seattle, but the only vegetarian option they had left when I got there was poutin - french fries and cheese - so it wasn't much of a meal. There's a ton that congregate around the husband's office, so I even left work super-early the day before Thanksgiving to head over to his office to get lunch with him, but no food trucks showed. Sad. So when my sister was here, the husband brought home a Banh Mi sandwich from the Nom Nom truck, which is supposed to be one of THE BEST TRUCKS EVER. My sister and I reheated it in the oven, and it was good. Yumm. And then the next day, we drove over to his office for lunch and got food fresh from some other food trucks. Not as good as the Nom Nom truck but pretty solid Korean-Mexican fusion food.


3. Carrot Cake - Thanks to Elizabeth, I learned that SuzieCakes has the best carrot cake ever. And it does. I usually don't like nuts or raisins in my cakes, but in this cake, it really works. The icing is perfectly sweet and creamy, and you can see the long strands of carrot weaving through the cake. Since my sister is a huge fan, we went to get a piece for dessert, and life was good.


4. The Beach - Unfortunately, my sister decided to come during the one weekend it was warm and sunny in Atlanta and it was cold and rainy in LA. Well, one of the many weekends that has been happening recently. So we couldn't go the beach, but we got to an overlook in Santa Monica so we were able to look out over the water on that sad, cloudy day. But it was my first time seeing the LA beach (does Malibu count?)

5. Sweet Harts - Last and definitely least, our visit to Melissa Joan Hart's ice cream and dessert shop was very disappointing. Clarissa Explains It All and Sabrina the Teenage Witch were awesome shows, so we expected that her attempt at a dessert shop would be awesome. Nope. It was in a sad area of Sherman Oaks (a suburb of greater LA) and the inside was sort of dirty, as if it was just overused and undercleaned. And the fro-yo wasn't that great. Sigh.

Anyway, it was fun just hanging out and playing board games and watching TV and eating food. All things we do well.

3 comments:

  1. Okay I totally LOVE Drop Dead Diva and can't wait for the new season this summer. :)

    :D Glad you and Saila had a good weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really? That's so exciting. I was scared that they had discontinued the show. I'm looking forward to watching it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you liked SusieCakes! Reminds me that I should go by the location in Calabasas this weekend.

    ReplyDelete